- To recognize journalists and their employing publication/station for excellence in reporting about public education.
- To project a clear image of what classroom teachers feel exemplifies outstanding education reporting.
- The submitted articles or broadcasts must relate to public education and must have been published or broadcast by a Texas medium between Jan. 1, 2021, and Dec. 31, 2021. Entries submitted in an alternative language must be accompanied by a written English translation.
- Nominee must have completed the work while in the employment of a Texas news agency, newspaper, magazine or radio/television station. Freelance work will be accepted, provided the submissions are with a single Texas newspaper, magazine or radio/television station.
- Awards will be based on three to five articles or broadcasts.
The TCTA Executive Board will consider the following:
- The articles/broadcasts must help promote understanding of teachers and public education, and help improve communication between educators and the community.
- Submissions must be informative, timely, objective, fair and accurate.
- Teachers or the teaching profession should play a major role in the submitted pieces.
- Entries must include a completed entry form and 3-5 articles published under a byline(s) or 3-5 broadcast pieces totaling no more than 20 minutes.
- Print entries may include photocopies, tear sheets, printable or electronic copies.
- Television entries may be submitted on DVD or as a QuickTime file. Radio entries may be submitted on audio CD or as an MP3 file.
- Nominations may be submitted by any TCTA member or by a journalist or editor associated with the publication/station. Nominees also may be identified by TCTA staff.
- Nominations may be submitted to TCTA headquarters using the online nomination form below. Supporting documentation (newspaper/magazine articles or radio and television broadcast pieces) can be sent to TCTA via email (email@example.com), mail (PO Box 1489, Austin, TX 78767-1489) or fax (512-469-9527) Submitted materials will not be returned. Please include any needed username/password to access links that may be behind a paywall.
- Nomination must be RECEIVED by May 1, 2022.
Nominations are evaluated and the winner selected by members of the TCTA Executive Board.
The TCTA Silver Apple Media Award winner receives an engraved award and will be recognized in TCTA statewide publications and on the TCTA website.
Fill out and submit the form below to nominate a TCTA member for 2021-22 Silver Apple Media Award.